Subject: [PATCH v5 0/4] support uTF-8 in alias names

From: Jonatan Holmgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2026 17:15:09 +0100

Heya!

This series enables UTF-8 and special characters in Git alias names
by using config subsection syntax: [alias "name"] command = value.

I have since last time:
* Changed "native speakers" to "languages outside English range" (thanks Richard!)
* Fixed shell completion in zsh
* Improved docs slightly with feedback from Junio. Also changed out one of the examples with one with spaces to demonstrate that feature.

Thanks for your time.

Jonatan Holmgren (4):
  help: use list_aliases() for alias listing
  alias: prepare for subsection aliases
  alias: support non-alphanumeric names via subsection syntax
  completion: fix zsh alias listing for subsection aliases

 Documentation/config/alias.adoc       | 50 ++++++++++++++++---
 alias.c                               | 42 +++++++++++++---
 builtin/help.c                        | 15 ++++++
 contrib/completion/git-completion.zsh |  2 +-
 help.c                                | 39 +++++++--------
 t/t0014-alias.sh                      | 71 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 184 insertions(+), 35 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0.83.g660bbd62ee.dirty