Subject: [PATCH v2 0/3] contrib/subtree: process out-of-prefix subtrees

From: Colin Stagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2026 20:31:29 -0600

* cs/subtree-remove-optimization:
  Remove an optimization that can exclude too much
  history during a "subtree split."

Remove an optimization introduced in 98ba49ccc2 (subtree: fix split
processing with multiple subtrees present, 2023-12-01). The
optimization incorrectly excludes commits from the split history
that must be included.

The above commit, and my later attempt to fix it in 83f9dad7d6
(contrib/subtree: fix split with squashed subtrees, 2025-09-09),
both introduce known regressions.

Improve test coverage for `copy_or_skip`, which will help detect
future regressions.

Signed-off-by: Colin Stagner <[email-masked]>
---
Changes in v2:
- remove incorrect newlines from commit message trailers
- patch diffs are unchanged

---
Colin Stagner (3):
      contrib/subtree: capture additional test-cases
      contrib/subtree: test history depth
      contrib/subtree: process out-of-prefix subtrees

 contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh     |  50 +---------
 contrib/subtree/t/t7900-subtree.sh | 198 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 190 insertions(+), 58 deletions(-)
---
base-commit: 852829b3dd2fe4e7c7fc4d8badde644cf1b66c74
change-id: 20260217-cs-subtree-remove-optimization-aca442f748eb

Best regards,
--  
Colin Stagner <[email-masked]>