Subject: Re: [PATCH v28 2/2] status: add status.compareBranches config for multiple branch comparisons

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2026 11:08:42 -0500

On Wed, Feb 25, 2026 at 07:44:56AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > I worked on this feature for 2 months, and then it got marked as stale
> > instead of being merged. Will this time be different?
> 
> A topic becoming stalled is something the original author can (and
> has the primary responsibility to) avoid by keeping the discussion
> thread alive by responding to reviews, pinging the thread with
> comments similar to "now I think this one is done, all comments are
> addressed by either updating the code or replying why we would not
> want to go there (which the reviewer who made the comment hasn't
> responded yet, so the ball is in their court)", etc.  Even though I
> try to help keep the ball rolling by pinging discussion threads that
> smell about to go stalled from time to time, I cannot guarantee that
> it would not happen again.   But you can help ;-).

To be fair to Harald, he did ping a few times, but I think was just
unsure how to proceed after the issues raised in the last round.

I think what would have moved things forward more than just a ping,
though, is generating a plan for moving forward in the face of confusing
review. That can be quite hard for first-time contributors, though.

That was why I tried to lay something out in the last email. I _think_
it would not be too much work to get there from the last iteration. It
would mostly be removing code/feature that we're not ready to commit to
yet.

-Peff