Subject: [PATCH v3] t0410: modernize delete_object helper

From: Siddharth Shrimali <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2026 11:01:59 +0530

The delete_object helper currently relies on a manual sed command to
calculate object paths. This works, but it's a bit brittle and forces
us to maintain shell logic that Git's own test suite can already
handle more elegantly.

Switch to 'test_oid_to_path' to let Git handle the path logic. This
makes the helper hash independent, which is much cleaner than manual
string manipulation. While at it, use 'local' to declare helper-specific
variables and quote them to follow Git's coding style. This prevents
them from leaking into global shell scope and avoids potential naming
conflicts with other parts of the test suite.

Helped-by: Pushkar Singh <[email-masked]>
Suggested-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Siddharth Shrimali <[email-masked]>
---
Thanks to Pushkar for the initial review and testing. Thanks to Jeff
for the catch regarding 'local' assignment portability. Paths with 
spaces could cause issues on some shells without the extra quotes. 
Thanks also to Eric and Junio for the feedback on 'test_path_is_file'.

Changes in v3:
- Added quotes to 'local' variable assignments to improve shell 
  portability.

Changes in v2:
- Added 'local' to variables and ensured they are properly quoted.
- Removed 'test_path_is_file' as 'rm' provides sufficient 
  error reporting.

 t/t0410-partial-clone.sh | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/t/t0410-partial-clone.sh b/t/t0410-partial-clone.sh
index 2a5bdbeeb8..52e19728a3 100755
--- a/t/t0410-partial-clone.sh
+++ b/t/t0410-partial-clone.sh
@@ -11,7 +11,10 @@ test_description='partial clone'
 GIT_TEST_COMMIT_GRAPH=0
 
 delete_object () {
-	rm $1/.git/objects/$(echo $2 | sed -e 's|^..|&/|')
+	local repo="$1"
+	local obj="$2"
+	local path="$repo/.git/objects/$(test_oid_to_path "$obj")" &&
+	rm "$path"
 }
 
 pack_as_from_promisor () {
-- 
2.51.2