Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 0/6] repo info: add category/path keys and --path-format

From: Jialong Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2026 16:44:38 -0400

Hi,

While reading the current `git repo info` implementation, I noticed that
`layout.bare` is still implemented via `is_bare_repository()` in
`builtin/repo.c`.

At first I thought this might be a small repository-awareness cleanup,
since the `repo info` field callbacks already receive a `struct
repository *`. But after tracing it further, it seems the current
`is_bare_repository()` semantics are not equivalent to simply checking
whether `repo_get_work_tree(repo)` is NULL.

So before trying to patch this, I wanted to confirm the intended
direction:

- Should `repo info`'s `layout.bare` continue to follow the current
  `is_bare_repository()` semantics?
- Or, if `git repo info` is meant to become more explicitly
  repository-aware over time, would it make sense to introduce something
  like a `repo_is_bare(repo)` helper and use that instead?

I am asking mainly to avoid sending a misleading cleanup patch for what
may actually be a semantics question.

Thanks,
Jialong