Subject: [PATCH 0/8] some diff-highlight tweaks

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2026 20:41:38 -0400

Here are a few small changes to diff-highlight. The main motivation is
working better with diff-so-fancy, which uses DiffHighlight.pm under the
hood. But it was a good opportunity to polish up the tests and README,
and the final patch implements a small optimization I'd been meaning to
do for a while.

I based these on the bugfix patch I sent a few days ago in:

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

They don't _need_ to come after that, but there are otherwise textual
conflicts as they both add new tests in the same spot.

  [1/8]: diff-highlight: mention build instructions
  [2/8]: diff-highlight: drop perl version dependency back to 5.8
  [3/8]: diff-highlight: check diff-highlight exit status in tests
  [4/8]: t: add matching negative attributes to test_decode_color
  [5/8]: diff-highlight: use test_decode_color in tests
  [6/8]: diff-highlight: test color config
  [7/8]: diff-highlight: allow module callers to pass in color config
  [8/8]: diff-highlight: fetch all config with one process

 contrib/diff-highlight/DiffHighlight.pm       | 57 ++++++++++++----
 contrib/diff-highlight/README                 | 19 +++++-
 .../diff-highlight/t/t9400-diff-highlight.sh  | 67 +++++++++++++------
 t/test-lib-functions.sh                       |  3 +
 4 files changed, 111 insertions(+), 35 deletions(-)

-Peff