Subject: [PATCH 0/4] fast-import: extend signed object handling modes

From: Justin Tobler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2026 16:55:09 -0500

Greetings,

The '--signed-{commits,tags}=<mode>' options for git-fast-import(1)
allow users to configure how signed objects should be handled at time of
import. With c20f112e51 (fast-import: add 'strip-if-invalid' mode to
--signed-commits=<mode>, 2025-11-17) and ee66c793f8 (fast-import: add
mode to sign commits with invalid signatures, 2026-03-12), the
'strip-if-invalid' and 'sign-if-invalid' modes were added for the
'--signed-commits' option only.

This series extends '--signed-commits' by adding an 'abort-if-invalid'
mode which aborts the entire import operation when a commit signature
fails verification. Additionally, the '--signed-tags' option is brought
into parity with '--signed-commits' by supporting equivalent,
'strip-if-invalid', 'sign-if-invalid', and 'abort-if-invalid' modes.

This series is built on top of 1080981ddb (The 19th batch, 2026-03-23)
with ee66c793f8 (fast-import: add mode to sign commits with invalid
signatures, 2026-03-12) merged into it.

Thanks,
-Justin

Justin Tobler (4):
  fast-import: add 'abort-if-invalid' mode to '--signed-commits=<mode>'
  fast-import: add 'strip-if-invalid' mode to '--signed-tags=<mode>'
  fast-import: add 'sign-if-invalid' mode to '--signed-tags=<mode>'
  fast-import: add 'abort-if-invalid' mode to '--signed-tags=<mode>'

 Documentation/git-fast-import.adoc |   9 ++-
 builtin/fast-export.c              |   6 ++
 builtin/fast-import.c              |  71 ++++++++++++++---
 gpg-interface.c                    |   2 +
 gpg-interface.h                    |   1 +
 t/t9305-fast-import-signatures.sh  |  10 ++-
 t/t9306-fast-import-signed-tags.sh | 118 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 7 files changed, 201 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0.381.g628a66ccf6