Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] connect: Add support for per-remote and per-namespace SSH options

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2026 17:45:59 -0400

On Thu, Mar 26, 2026 at 07:37:38PM -0400, Wesley Schwengle wrote:

> The following configuration is supported, in order of precedence:
> 
>   1. `remote.<name>.sshIdentityFile' and `remote.<name>.sshOpts'
> 
>   2. `core.sshIdentityFile.<owner>' and `core.sshOpts.<owner>'
> 
>      Where <owner> is derived from the repository path. Nested groups
>      aren't supported: git@host:owner/repo.git becomes "owner",
>      git@host:owner/group/repo.git also becomes "owner".

We already have some conditional config mechanisms, and I don't think
it's a good idea to add one that only works for certain keys. If I
understand correctly, this <owner> feature can already be accomplished
with:

  [includeIf "hasconfig:remote.*.url:**/owner/**"]
  path = all-your-options-for-that-owner

It's a little more verbose (and you have to use a separate file), but it
also allows other conditions, like "gitdir:" for selecting based on how
you lay out your repos locally.

-Peff