Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Enable Rust by default

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 01:12:45 +0000

Our breaking changes document said that we would enable Rust support by
default in Git 2.53, while still leaving the ability for it to be
disabled.  Unfortunately, we forgot to do that and my time machine is
broken right now, so this series sets it up for Git 2.54.

The first patch updates the documentation accordingly and the next two
fix a few cases that are broken in our CI system.  The final patch
simply enables Rust by default except for two jobs to make sure that we
continue to build correctly without Rust for the moment.

I didn't force Rust on with the breaking changes mode because it's
already on by default with this series and it seemed unnecessary.

The GitHub Actions CI passes on all platforms with this series.

brian m. carlson (4):
  docs: update version with default Rust support
  ci: install cargo on Alpine
  Linux: link against libdl
  Enable Rust by default

 Documentation/BreakingChanges.adoc |  2 +-
 Makefile                           | 10 +++++-----
 ci/install-dependencies.sh         |  2 +-
 ci/lib.sh                          |  3 +++
 ci/run-build-and-tests.sh          |  2 +-
 config.mak.uname                   |  1 +
 meson.build                        |  2 +-
 meson_options.txt                  |  2 +-
 8 files changed, 14 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)