Subject: [L10N] Kickoff for Git 2.54.0 translations

From: Jiang Xin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 09:47:26 +0800

Hi,

Git v2.54.0-rc0 has been released, and we are starting a new round of
localization for Git 2.54.0. Since the last release, 182 catalog entries need
to be translated. Please open a pull request against the l10n coordinator
repository (URL below) before the update window closes on Sat, 18 Apr 2026.

    https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po/

The workflow below is adapted from `po/README.md`.

## The `po/git.pot` file is generated and not kept in the repository

The l10n coordinator no longer generates `po/git.pot` before each round, and
that file is not committed to the repository.

You can build it locally with:

    make po/git.pot

This step is optional: when you refresh your `po/XX.po` file (see below),
`po/git.pot` is generated automatically as part of the process.

## Refresh `po/XX.po` before you translate

Before updating `po/XX.po`, pull the latest commits from the `master` branch
of `git-l10n/git-po`, for example:

    git pull --rebase [email-masked]:git-l10n/git-po.git master

Then refresh `po/XX.po` against the current sources with:

    make po-update PO_FILE=po/XX.po

## AI-assisted translation

Using AI coding tools together with `po/AGENTS.md`, l10n contributors can
translate a freshly generated `po/XX.po` with a prompt such as:

    Translate po/XX.po with reference to po/AGENTS.md

Please treat any AI-generated output as a draft. It should be reviewed and
approved by someone who understands both the technical context and the target
language. The best outcomes combine AI-assisted speed with human judgment,
cultural nuance, and community review.

## Set up filter drivers for `po/XX.po` before you commit

Comments in `po/XX.po` may include source location lines like:

    #: add-interactive.c:334

Those locations help translators find context in the source, but they add
noise and consume a lot of repository space, so we strip them from `po/XX.po`
before commits.

Content filters are configured for `po/XX.po` files so that the clean filter
removes location comments (`#: ...` lines) from what Git commits. Inspect
the active filter with:

    git check-attr filter po/XX.po

Configure whichever filter driver matches your setup for `po/XX.po`, or
configure both:

    git config --global filter.gettext-no-location.clean \
               "msgcat --no-location -"

    git config --global filter.gettext-no-line-number.clean \
               "msgcat --add-location=file -"

After you commit your `po/XX.po` changes, open a pull request against the
l10n coordinator repository:

    https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po/

## Address feedback from the l10n CI on your pull request

The helper at https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po-helper helps the Git l10n
coordinator and contributors check Git l10n contribution conventions. It also
runs in GitHub Actions as the l10n CI pipeline that validates each pull request
to the `git-l10n/git-po` repository. Please address any issues it reports.

**Reminder: the update window closes on Sat, 18 Apr 2026.**

--
Jiang Xin