Subject: [PATCH v2] cache-tree: fix inverted object existence check in cache_tree_fully_valid

From: David Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2026 15:27:11 -0400

The negation in front of the object existence check in
cache_tree_fully_valid() was lost in 062b914c84 (treewide: convert
users of `repo_has_object_file()` to `has_object()`, 2025-04-29),
turning `!repo_has_object_file(...)` into `has_object(...)` instead
of `!has_object(...)`.

This makes cache_tree_fully_valid() always report the cache tree as
invalid when objects exist (the common case), forcing callers like
write_index_as_tree() to call cache_tree_update() on every
invocation.  An odb_has_object() check inside update_one() avoids a
full tree rebuild, but the unnecessary call still pays the cost of
opening an ODB transaction and, in partial clones, a promisor remote
check.

Restore the missing negation and add a test that verifies write-tree
takes the cache-tree shortcut when the cache tree is valid.

Helped-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David Lin <[email-masked]>
---

Notes:
    Changes since v1:
      - Use test_grep instead of bare grep (Stolee)

 cache-tree.c          | 2 +-
 t/t0090-cache-tree.sh | 8 ++++++++
 2 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/cache-tree.c b/cache-tree.c
index 60bcc07c3b..9fe057355c 100644
--- a/cache-tree.c
+++ b/cache-tree.c
@@ -238,7 +238,7 @@ int cache_tree_fully_valid(struct cache_tree *it)
 	if (!it)
 		return 0;
 	if (it->entry_count < 0 ||
-	    odb_has_object(the_repository->objects, &it->oid,
+	    !odb_has_object(the_repository->objects, &it->oid,
 			   HAS_OBJECT_RECHECK_PACKED | HAS_OBJECT_FETCH_PROMISOR))
 		return 0;
 	for (i = 0; i < it->subtree_nr; i++) {
diff --git a/t/t0090-cache-tree.sh b/t/t0090-cache-tree.sh
index d901588294..0964718d7f 100755
--- a/t/t0090-cache-tree.sh
+++ b/t/t0090-cache-tree.sh
@@ -278,4 +278,12 @@ test_expect_success 'switching trees does not invalidate shared index' '
 	)
 '
 
+test_expect_success 'cache-tree is used by write-tree when valid' '
+	test_commit use-valid &&
+
+	# write-tree with a valid cache-tree should skip cache_tree_update
+	GIT_TRACE2_PERF="$(pwd)/trace.output" git write-tree &&
+	test_grep ! region_enter.*cache_tree.*update trace.output
+'
+
 test_done

base-commit: 2855562ca6a9c6b0e7bc780b050c1e83c9fcfbd0
-- 
2.52.0.ge17bebe515.stripe