Subject: Re: Super repository

From: "Theodore Tso" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2026 10:52:24 -0400

On Mon, Apr 06, 2026 at 08:36:08AM +0200, Gabor Urban wrote:
> 
> We have a project in:../foo/Project1 under git locally for a while. In
> a couple of days (or weeks) we are to start two new projects.
> According to the management we have to make ../foo/Project2 and
> ../foo/Projetc3 to be brought under git.
> 
> The real issue: we are told the create a new repository for all 3
> projects (inf /foo/), but we must not lose the development history
> stored in the local git repositiy of Project1
> 
> Is there any good solution for that? Thanks for your help in advance.

So in general this is a bad idea if Project 2 and Project 3 hare going
to be separate projects and you aren't planning on merging them into a
single tree.  Is your company trying to do this because they are too
cheap to pay github for more than one private repository, by any
chance?

In any case, depending on what exactly you are trying to do, take a
look at the two answers here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/git/comments/17wj0bj/merging_multiple_repositories_into_one/

						- Ted