Subject: [PATCH 0/3] t7004: cleanup and modernize brittle tests

From: Siddharth Shrimali <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2026 19:48:25 +0530

This patch series addresses some brittle testing patterns in t7004-tag.sh

The first patch follows a suggestion by Junio to remove redundant tag
counting in the invalid name test. The second and third patches extend
this cleanup to hardcoded global state and modernizing subshell patterns
that could otherwise suppress git exit codes.

---
This series is a follow-up to my previous patch "t7004: replace wc -l 
with modern test helpers". Thanks to Junio for the feedback on the last
patch. I have applied those changes here and have gone through the rest
of the file and fixed similar issues.

Siddharth Shrimali (3):
  t7004: drop hardcoded tag count in invalid name test
  t7004: dynamically grab expected state in tests
  t7004: avoid subshells to capture git exit codes

 t/t7004-tag.sh | 43 +++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
 1 file changed, 21 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)

-- 
2.51.2