Subject: Re: MIDX woes, was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.54.0-rc2

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2026 15:49:22 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2026 at 11:18:35AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> As to the other change, rebased to our current codebase, we could
> sell it as "futureproofing" for similar breakages we make next, but
> that means we are promising ourselves that we will forever keep the
> MIDX purely optional feature.  I do not think we want to decide that
> we are comfortable with that position during -rc period, so I am not
> sure.  These error() messages should be reworded to make it clear
> that we are _ignoring_ the corrupt multi-pack-prefix file(s) as a
> result, and then further weakened into warning(), I think, if we
> were to go in that direction.

Yeah, I agree that re-wording would be a good idea here. I think this
can happen post-release. We'd like for this to have happened long ago,
but it didn't. Doing it in 2.54 versus 2.55 does not really matter, as:

  1. We still have to worry about 2.53 and earlier anyway, so one
     version is not much in the grand scheme of things.

  2. For midx v2, 2.54 knows how to read it anyway, so is not affected
     by the problem. ;)

-Peff