Subject: [PATCH v1 0/1] rev-list: add --missing=print-only mode

From: Siddharth Asthana <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2026 14:18:39 +0530

Hi,

At GitLab, Gitaly uses `rev-list --missing=print` to find missing
objects in partial clones. The current output mixes present and missing
objects together, with missing ones prefixed by '?', so Gitaly has to
post-process the output to extract just the missing OIDs. Having a
dedicated mode that outputs only the missing OIDs directly would
simplify this.

This patch adds --missing=print-only which suppresses all regular
object output and prints only the missing OIDs, one per line, without
the '?' prefix. A `missing_action_prints()` helper consolidates the
repeated three-way checks for MA_PRINT/MA_PRINT_INFO/MA_PRINT_ONLY.

The series is based on top of 9f223ef1c0 (Git 2.54-rc2).

CI: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/git/-/pipelines/2463294546

Siddharth Asthana (1):
  rev-list: add --missing=print-only mode

 Documentation/rev-list-options.adoc |  5 +++
 builtin/rev-list.c                  | 49 ++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 t/t6022-rev-list-missing.sh         | 26 +++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 68 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

base-commit: 9f223ef1c026d91c7ac68cc0211bde255dda6199

Thanks
- Siddharth