Subject: [PATCH v3 3/8] doc: am: revert Message-ID trailer claim

From: Olamide Caleb Bello <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2026 17:08:27 +0100

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

I claimed in 3c18135b (doc: am: say that --message-id adds a trailer,
2026-02-09) that `git am --message-id` adds a Git trailer. But that
isn’t the case; for the case of a commit message with a subject, body,
and no trailer block:

    <subject>

    <paragrah>

It just appends the line right after `paragraph`:

    <subject>

    <paragraph>
    Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

It does work for two other cases though, namely subject-only and with an
existing trailer block.

This is at best an inconsistency and arguably a bug, but we’re at the
trailing end of the release cycle now. So reverting the doc is safer
than making msg-id act as a trailer, for now.

Revert this hunk from commit 3c18135b except the only useful
change (“Also use inline-verbatim for `Message-ID`”).

Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-am.adoc | 9 ++++-----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-am.adoc b/Documentation/git-am.adoc
index 403181baa9..14f83a8920 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-am.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/git-am.adoc
@@ -84,11 +84,10 @@ OPTIONS
 
 -m::
 --message-id::
-	Pass the `-m` flag to linkgit:git-mailinfo[1], so that the
-	`Message-ID` header is added as a trailer (see
-	linkgit:git-interpret-trailers[1]).  The `am.messageid`
-	configuration variable can be used to specify the default
-	behaviour.
+	Pass the `-m` flag to linkgit:git-mailinfo[1],
+	so that the `Message-ID` header is added to the commit message.
+	The `am.messageid` configuration variable can be used to specify
+	the default behaviour.
 
 --no-message-id::
 	Do not add the Message-ID header to the commit message.
-- 
2.53.0.155.g9f36b15afa