Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/16] repack: incremental MIDX/bitmap-based repacking

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2026 04:10:30 -0400

On Tue, Apr 21, 2026 at 04:37:08PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:

> The main changes since last time are described in [1], which I sent to
> the list last week just before the 2.54 release was tagged. For
> convenience, a copy of the main changes are below:
> 
>  - Use a strset instead of a string_list for keeping track of the MIDX
>    layers to retain when calling `either clear_midx_files_ext()` or
>    `clear_incremental_midx_files_ext()`.
> 
>  - A new patch to rewrite the logic for determining which MIDX layers
>    comprise the new chain via keep_hashes to build the array in order.
>    The subsequent patch converts that into a strvec, which no longer
>    requires direct manipulation.
> 
>  - The new "--checksum-only" option has been renamed to
>    "--no-write-chain-file", and various small implementation tweaks
>    (e.g., relying on `is_lock_file_locked()` to determine whether we
>    should update the chain file as opposed to reading the flags).

Thanks, I think that addresses my review from the previous round.

I looked over the final few patches. Aside from a small nit about a
possible leak, I didn't notice anything obviously wrong. There's enough
new and tricky concepts that I wouldn't guarantee there's not a subtle
corner case lurking, but I don't think me staring at it any longer is
going to yield any further insight.

-Peff