Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] mingw: stop using nedmalloc

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2026 10:15:04 -0400

On Fri, May 08, 2026 at 11:56:19AM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
> writes:
> 
> > The patches that remove the vendored sources have a slightly unusual shape:
> > the Git mailing list rejects messages over 100kB and
> > compat/nedmalloc/malloc.c.h alone is ~196kB of source, so the deletion of
> > that file is split at section boundaries into three commits, each
> > comfortably under the cap.
> 
> The history made strange only by the limitation of the tool (i.e.,
> mailing list) we use is like the tail wagging the dog.  Could you
> give a commit log message that describes droppage of everything done
> in the "artificially stepwise only due to mailing list limitation,
> but we wish we could do in a single step because the separation is
> not logical at all" in the later steps, to the first of such steps
> ([2/6], I presume), and give each remaining patch a single liner "to
> be squashed into [2/6]" log message, or something?  Then I can
> squash them on my end.  Alternatively for this one only after we get
> favourable reviews on the early two steps to drop the use of the
> library, I can pull a single "discard everything" patch that builds
> on these two from your repository.

Could this be a good time to use --irreversible-delete? It is not like
humans are going to read the 200k of deletion hunks anyway.

-Peff