Subject: [PATCH v2] receive-pack: fix updateInstead with core.worktree

From: Alyssa Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2026 18:23:12 +0200

Previously, only one of push_to_checkout() or push_to_deploy() was
called.  In a8cc594333 (hooks: fix an obscure TOCTOU "did we just run a
hook?" race, 2022-03-07), this was changed to always call
push_to_checkout(), and then to call push_to_deploy() if
push_to_checkout() didn't run anything.  This change didn't take into
account that push_to_checkout() had a side effect of modifying env, and
that modified env broke updating the worktree in push_to_deploy() if
core.worktree was configured.  To fix this, only mutate the environment
used inside push_to_commit(), rather than the environment that might
later be passed to push_to_deploy().

Signed-off-by: Alyssa Ross <[email-masked]>
---
v2: reword commit message in response to feedback

 builtin/receive-pack.c |  2 +-
 t/t5516-fetch-push.sh  | 11 +++++++++++
 2 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/builtin/receive-pack.c b/builtin/receive-pack.c
index c7b2818f20..7ee157532d 100644
--- a/builtin/receive-pack.c
+++ b/builtin/receive-pack.c
@@ -1460,8 +1460,8 @@ static const char *push_to_checkout(unsigned char *hash,
 
 	opt.invoked_hook = invoked_hook;
 
-	strvec_pushf(env, "GIT_WORK_TREE=%s", absolute_path(work_tree));
 	strvec_pushv(&opt.env, env->v);
+	strvec_pushf(&opt.env, "GIT_WORK_TREE=%s", absolute_path(work_tree));
 	strvec_push(&opt.args, hash_to_hex(hash));
 	if (run_hooks_opt(the_repository, push_to_checkout_hook, &opt))
 		return "push-to-checkout hook declined";
diff --git a/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh b/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
index 117cfa051f..db6cc18673 100755
--- a/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
+++ b/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
@@ -1791,6 +1791,17 @@ test_expect_success 'updateInstead with push-to-checkout hook' '
 	)
 '
 
+test_expect_success 'denyCurrentBranch and core.worktree' '
+	test_when_finished "rm -fr cloned cloned.git" &&
+	git clone --separate-git-dir cloned.git . cloned &&
+	git --git-dir cloned.git config receive.denyCurrentBranch updateInstead &&
+	git --git-dir cloned.git config core.worktree "$PWD/cloned" &&
+	test_commit raspberry &&
+	git push cloned.git HEAD:main &&
+	test_path_exists cloned/raspberry.t &&
+	test_must_fail git push --delete cloned.git main
+'
+
 test_expect_success 'denyCurrentBranch and worktrees' '
 	test_when_finished "rm -fr cloned && git worktree remove --force new-wt" &&
 	git worktree add new-wt &&

base-commit: aec3f587505a472db67e9462d0702e7d463a449d
-- 
2.53.0