Subject: Retrieving last tag of a working tree

From: the_jack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 04:07:19 -0800 (PST)

I'm using msys git on Windows XP for version tracking embedded design project
in C. I mostly work with GUIs (git-gui and qgit), I use bash only when I
have to.

I need to be able to access version from software. To do that, I use tags to
mark all released versions, and that version string is written to file
version.h (the file is not tracked) by pre-build command:

#define KDK_SOFTWARE_VERSION "0.72"

Precompiler assigns this string to a variable. At this moment, version.h is
filled by python script that calls "git-describe --tag HEAD" and parses the
output. This works, but it's not quite reliable. There has to be a better
way for getting the last tag of current working tree. If I checkout an
earlier tagged version (0.70), I would need to automatically get 0.70 inside
version.h

Can anyone shed any light on this?
-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Retrieving-last-tag-of-a-working-tree-tp21071491p21071491.html
Sent from the git mailing list archive at Nabble.com.