Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] protocol v2: specify static seeding of clone/fetch via "bundle-uri"

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:49:31 +0200

On Tue, Oct 26 2021, Derrick Stolee wrote:

> On 10/26/2021 11:00 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

[I'll reply to the rest later, either here or in related threads. I.e. I
might end up entirely revamping the config etc. format]

>> There's also the small matter of it being consistent with the
>> packfile-uri config in its current form, but that shouldn't be a reason
>> not to come up with something better. If anything any better suggestion
>> (if we go for that) could be supported by it too...
>
> What do you mean about being consistent with packfile-uri? This layer
> that we care about isn't even implemented in git.git.

It's rather limited, but we do support a uploadpack.BlobPackFileUri as a
server-side feature for upload-pack. I.e.:

    uploadpack.BlobPackFileUri=<OID> <pack-hash> <packfile-uri>

See Documentation/technical/packfile-uri.txt.

The <pack-hash> is part of the protocol, but the <OID> is just an aid to
upload-pack to peel out that OID when it serves up the PACK, the <OID>
being what you get from the URI.

In terms of server implementation it's rather proof-of-concept-ish,
i.e. it's not really all that useful unless your use case is carving out
a small number of really big blobs. JGit's is much more mature, and
there's some patches on-list recently to make the git.git one more
practically useful[1].

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/