Subject: ms/customizable-ident-expansion (was: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2021, #07; Fri, 29))

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 20:39:51 +0100

On Fri, Oct 29 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * ms/customizable-ident-expansion (2021-09-01) 1 commit
>  - keyword expansion: make "$Id$" string configurable
>
>  Instead of "$Id$", user-specified string (like $FreeBSD$) can be
>  used as an in-blob placeholder for keyword expansion.
>
>  What's the status of this one?  Meh?

I reviewed this the other day, but that review didn't yield a mailing
list message.

I think some of the seeming re-invention of "struct strbuf" is a bit
nasty, but in trying to see if I could replace it I came to head with
existing code that this was extending, so it's nothing new.

But as for the feature it's clearly useful to some, and helps SCM
inter-op, so even if I'm also rather "meh" on it I think it would be
good to merge it down, it's clearly very useful to its (small) target
audience, and doesn't seem to be harming anything else.