Subject: Re: [PATCH] grep: avoid setting UTF mode when not needed

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 13:32:17 +0100

On Tue, Nov 16 2021, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón wrote:

> Since ae39ba431a (grep/pcre2: fix an edge case concerning ascii patterns
> and UTF-8 data, 2021-10-15), PCRE_UTF mode is enabled in cases where it
> will fail because of UTF-8 validation, which is needed for versions of
> PCRE2 older than 10.34.
>
> Revert the change on logic to avoid failures that were reported from the
> test cases, but that should also reflect in normal use when JIT is enabled
> and could result in crashes (or worse), as UTF-8 validation is skipped.
>
> Keeping the tests, as they pass even without the fix as replicated locally
> in Debian 10 and the CI.
>
> Reported-by: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  grep.c | 6 ++----
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/grep.c b/grep.c
> index f6e113e9f0..fe847a0111 100644
> --- a/grep.c
> +++ b/grep.c
> @@ -382,10 +382,8 @@ static void compile_pcre2_pattern(struct grep_pat *p, const struct grep_opt *opt
>  		}
>  		options |= PCRE2_CASELESS;
>  	}
> -	if ((!opt->ignore_locale && !has_non_ascii(p->pattern)) ||
> -	    (!opt->ignore_locale && is_utf8_locale() &&
> -	     has_non_ascii(p->pattern) && !(!opt->ignore_case &&
> -					    (p->fixed || p->is_fixed))))
> +	if (!opt->ignore_locale && is_utf8_locale() && has_non_ascii(p->pattern) &&
> +	    !(!opt->ignore_case && (p->fixed || p->is_fixed)))
>  		options |= (PCRE2_UTF | PCRE2_MATCH_INVALID_UTF);
>  
>  #ifdef GIT_PCRE2_VERSION_10_36_OR_HIGHER

Hrm.

A few things:

First, if we've got a post-PCREv2 version whatever fix let's guard that
with an ifdef, see thep GIT_PCRE2_VERSION_*_HIGHER at the top of grep.h.

It really helps to have those, both to know to test on those older
versions, and also so that we can at some point in the future bump the
required version and drop these workarounds entirely (as we do with
git-curl-compat.h).

Secondly, whatever do here let's first fix the test added in ae39ba431a,
so we're not groping around in the dark even more.

I didn't spot this at the time but the test that Hamza added in that
based on my initial report[1] is broken & doesn't test anything
meaningful. It needs to have this applied:
	
	diff --git a/t/t7812-grep-icase-non-ascii.sh b/t/t7812-grep-icase-non-ascii.sh
	index 22487d90fdc..1da6b07a579 100755
	--- a/t/t7812-grep-icase-non-ascii.sh
	+++ b/t/t7812-grep-icase-non-ascii.sh
	@@ -60,7 +60,7 @@ test_expect_success GETTEXT_LOCALE,PCRE 'log --author with an ascii pattern on U
	        test_write_lines "forth" >file4 &&
	        git add file4 &&
	        git commit --author="À Ú Thor <[email-masked]>" -m sécond &&
	-       git log -1 --color=always --perl-regexp --author=".*Thor" >log &&
	+       git log -1 --color=always --perl-regexp --author=". . Thor" >log &&
	        grep Author log >actual.raw &&
	        test_decode_color <actual.raw >actual &&
	        test_cmp expected actual

I.e. the whole point of using the color output to test this is to
discover where PCRE2 is going to consider a character boundary to be,
using .* means that it won't be tested at add, since .* will happily eat
up whatever arbitrary data it finds with or without UTF-8 mode.

Other tests added in that & adjacent (if any?) commits may have the same
issue, I haven't dug into it.

If we lead with that patch we'll get the test passing on master as
before, but with your patch above it'll break. I.e. the "when not
needed' in the $subject isn't true, it's just that the test is
completely broken.

In the context of this being a pretty urgent post-release fix (but I
don't know if Junio would consider a point-release, so perhaphs it's
not) I'd be OK with either of:

 A. Let's back out this new log grep color thing entirely while we
    reconsider this. The gitster/hm/paint-hits-in-log-grep topic
    currently reverts cleanly.

 B. Don't break the new log grep color thing, and also fix the 'grepping
    binary' regression (which is much more important than having A)

But let's not go for some in-between where we break the new feature to
the point of it being worse than the state of not having it at all in
v2.33.0.

I.e. without the that log grep color feature we wouldn't screw up the
display of non-ASCII characters in log output (yay), in v2.34.0 we
don't, but also color the match (yay), but we broke grepping binary
*files* (boo!).

I think the approach I suggested in [2] is a much more viable way
forward, i.e. let's stop fiddling with this giant nested if statement
that's mainly meant for the grep-a-file-case, revert to the
pre-log-grep-color state, and have the log-grep-color mode pass in a
"yes, I'd like the UTF-8 mode, please".

Having said that that's probably also broken, just in ways we're less
likely to spot (or maybe some of the log encoding settings/reencoding
saves us there?), we may need to have that ifdef'd to 10.34 and higher,
or have some opt-in setting for this.

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
2. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/