Subject: Re: [PATCH v13 3/3] grep/pcre2: fix an edge case concerning ascii patterns and UTF-8 data

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:00:30 +0100

On Thu, Nov 18 2021, René Scharfe wrote:

> Am 18.11.21 um 19:17 schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:
> [...]
>> I guess this is a lot of change in the amount of text involved but
>> the least amount of actual change in the behaviour.  For those with
>> newer PCREv2, the behaviour would be the same as v2.34.0, and for
>> others, the behaviour would be the same as v2.33.0.
>>
>> Having said all that, because the consensus seems to be that the
>> whole "when we should match in UTF mode" may need to be rethought, I
>> think reverting Hamza's [v13 3/3] would be the simplest way to clean
>> up the mess for v2.34.1 that will give us a cleaner slate to later
>> build on, than applying this patch.
>
> Makes sense to me.  It gives a better starting point to solve the issue
> afresh without getting entangled in mind-melting boolean expressions.

Yes, agreed. As noted I haven't had time to dig deeply into this, but
from what I've seen so far there doesn't seem to be any obvious way
forward in terms of a quick fix.

I thought perhaps your patch would be that (but I haven't looked into it
carefully enough), but since you're on-board with reverting & retrying.