Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pager: fix crash when pager program doesn't exist

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 02:55:20 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23 2021, Enzo Matsumiya wrote:

> On 11/22, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>Enzo Matsumiya <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I'm preparing v3 with the above suggestions in mind.
>>
>>Thanks for an update, and thanks for working on this one.
>
> Btw I'm on hold until Ævar's patchset is sorted out, which seems to kind
> of overlap/invalidate my fix.
>
> Sorry I couldn't follow much of yesterday's discussion.

I think per https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ that
Junio's in turn waiting on you, and in my v2 re-roll of my topic[1] I
ejected the test derived from your report, on the assumption that an
earlier fix from you would land first.

I.e. I understood that Junio wanted to queue up your more narrow fix
which would fix the segfault, and my larger topic to remove "argv" and
"env" might come some time later.

I don't mind either way as long as the root cause of "argv" and "env"
gets fixed eventually.

I do wonder re [2] and [3] if a simpler and self-contained/isolated
patch in this area might not be a mirage of sorts. I.e. to know whether
the approach in [2] and [3] is safe we basically have to reason about
all the callers of this API anyway, which is what my larger series does.

But I honestly didn't look too deeply into your approach & what could be
done to safely work around "argv" and/or "env" on the current "master",
since I had the alternate patches to remove them entirely :)

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
2. https://lore.kernel.org/git/20211122153119.h2t2ti3lkiycd7pb@cyberdelia/
3. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/