Subject: Re: [PATCH v9 00/17] Upstreaming the Scalar command

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:50:08 +0100

On Tue, Nov 30 2021, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi Ævar,
>
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 30 2021, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:
>>
>> > [...]
>
> Unfortunately, you clipped the most important part, the part that I put in
> there mostly for your benefit. So let me repeat it once again:
>
> This patch series' focus is entirely on Scalar, on choosing sensible
> defaults and offering a delightful user experience around working with
> monorepos, and not about changing any existing paradigms for contrib/.
>
> I do see that you want to drag the conversation back to discussing the
> build process, and the CI integration. And on changing the way things are
> done in `contrib/`. You've made that point abundantly clear. I just don't
> see how that could possibly improve Scalar. I mean, if it failed during
> the past 4 months, why expect any different outcome in the future.

The seemingly unintentional behavior change in CI jobs that aren't
scalar jobs you're introducing started in v7 of this series, submitted
on November 17th:

    https://lore.kernel.org/git/1b03[email-masked]/

So as far as any CI testing is concerned we're talking about just under
2 weeks.

I really don't see how that and other unintentional behavior changes in
the CI on top of "master" have anything to do with "the build process"
in the sense that we've discussed as part of the greater scalar
integration topic in the past.

I only linked to those thread(s) because some of that behavior changing
(i.e. now running tests in a previously compile-only job) is apparent
when either running with my patch-on-top of this series, or it was
discussed in some threads related to that & the merger with
ab/ci-updates.

Is it intentional that the previously compile-only "pedantic" job is now
running the scalar tests?