Subject: Re: ab/run-command (was: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2021, #04; Wed, 15))

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:38:21 +0100

On Thu, Dec 16 2021, Jeff King wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 12:51:55PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> Or maybe you're not interested in either case, which is also fine. It's
>> really not needed for anything other than to resolve the minor oddity
>> that we have two "struct strvec"'s, "args" and "env_array". It's just a
>> bit odd to have one with "_array" in the name, which is only because the
>> now-removed "env" was taken at the time.
>
> Yeah, FWIW I absolutely hated "env_array" when I added it, but didn't
> want to do the transition all at once, so needed another name. So I
> would be happy to see it become "env" now. ;)

Thanks.

> Turning "args" into "argv" is less important, just because the name is
> less long and ugly. And since "argv" is both the concept of the arg list
> and also the well-known main() parameter with a different type, arguably
> using it for a type besides "const char **" could be confusing (though I
> don't find it so personally).

I like that it's just "args", so I don't think I'd change it even if I
could waive the proverbial magic wand to d oit.

We also have non-run-command.h code that uses "struct strvec args =
STRVEC_INIT" (although most of that ends up being passed into the
run_command.c function).

Saying "argv.v" also seems a bit more strange than "args.v", IMO.