Subject: Re: Review process improvements

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 04:26:39 +0100

On Fri, Dec 17 2021, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> [...]
>    - on the receiving end, the patches will be written to a dedicated
>      lore.kernel.org feed *as-is*, but also sent to the recipients after doing
>      the usual From/Reply-To substitution and moving the original From into
>      the in-body git headers (i.e. same as GGG does).

That GGG does this is one reason I haven't considered using it. It
breaks all sorts of E-Mail workflow assumptions from polluting the
address book for every person who uses it, to any "from:<addr>" search
needing special consideration etc.

Of course you'd need authentication etc, but is there a reason for why
such tooling can't work more like an SMTP relay and less like GGG which
(for some reason) insists on taking over the "From" header?

I think in its case it's because it wanted to mirror all the discussion
to GitHub. But presumably a ML-native tool won't have that problem (and
presumably GGG could do the same mirroring by following the ML after
submission).