Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 06/10] log: add default decoration filter

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 11:09:37 -0400

On 8/5/2022 10:50 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Aug 05 2022, Derrick Stolee wrote:

>> Now that this version removed the notes ref from the
>> decoration, the stance for inclusion is simple:
>>
>>   If Git offers to color the namespace with color.decoration.<slot>,
>>   then Git decorates with that namespace by default.
> 
> I'm a bit confused, sorry.
> 
> So aside from "notes", if we have a color.decoration.<slot> applying to
> a ref now, it's a bug in your series if it's not showing up anymore?

The possible slots are:

 * branch (refs/heads/)
 * remoteBranch (refs/remotes/)
 * tag (refs/tags/)
 * stash (refs/stash)
 * HEAD (HEAD)
 * grafted (refs/replace/ or GIT_REPLACE_REF_BASE)

These are exactly the namespaces that are now shown by default in
this series.

If someone adds a new color slot, then that would need to be
justified with a reason why that slot is important. We've already
had discussions as to why showing a decoration for notes is not
valuable to an end user. The stability of this config option (the
last addition of 'grafted' was in 2011) is good evidence that this
core set of namespaces is all users will need.

By contrast, the use of "hidden" namespaces is relatively new and
is expected to increase in the near future.

-Stolee