Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] fsck: squelch progress output with `--no-progress`

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:55:26 -0600

On 7/7/2023 6:31 PM, Taylor Blau wrote:
>This short series addresses a pair of issues where the `commit-graph
>verify` and `multi-pack-index verify` steps of `git fsck` produce output
>regardless of whether or not `fsck`was invoked with the
>`--no-progress`option or not.
>
>The first two patches address the commit-graph and MIDX issues
>respectively. The final four patches further clean up the output of
>`git commit-graph verify --progress`when verifying multi-layer graphs
>to produce a single progress meter instead of one per graph layer.
>
>Before, the output of `git commit-graph verify`on a repository with a
>commit-graph chain with two layers looked like:
>
>    $ git.compile commit-graph verify
>    Verifying commits in commit graph: 100% (4356/4356), done.
>    Verifying commits in commit graph: 100% (131912/131912), done.
>
>After this patch series, the output instead looks as follows:
>
>    $ git.compile commit-graph verify
>    Verifying commits in commit graph: 100% (136268/136268), done.
Thanks for noticing and fixing these issues. The patches are structured
well and make the refactoring easy to follow. This is especially tricky
when swapping from recursive to iterative, but the patches break this
down nicely.
v1 LGTM.
Thanks,
-Stolee