Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: FreeBSD cannot do C99-or-below build

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:36:21 +0100

On Tue, Jan 18 2022, Neeraj Singh wrote:

> The approach of building with C11 on FreeBSD is a good one
> compared to trying to hack around the headers.

The "hack around the headers" suggests that you've seen my
alternate[1]....

> It appears more like a compiler bug that's being worked around
> here. The FreeBSD header supposedly uses a GCC extension if the
> C standard version is less than C11.  See: 
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/blob/1e7b5f950b2d54ddb257d008592563c4d753aa54/sys/sys/cdefs.h#L317

...which discusses how the line you're linking to here and
__has_extension() interact, it's not a compiler bug, unless I'm missing
something.

I.e. it's just a FreeBSD include asking the compiler the wrong question
and/or not suppressing the warning (e.g. via "#pragma clang
system_header").

> Signed-off-by: Neeraj Singh <[email-masked]>

Accidentally addition?

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/