Subject: Re: en/present-despite-skipped (Was: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Feb 2022, #04; Tue, 15))

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 10:44:45 +0100

On Tue, Feb 15 2022, Elijah Newren wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 12:01 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> * en/present-despite-skipped (2022-01-14) 6 commits
>>  - Accelerate clear_skip_worktree_from_present_files() by caching
>>  - Update documentation related to sparsity and the skip-worktree bit
>>  - repo_read_index: clear SKIP_WORKTREE bit from files present in worktree
>>  - unpack-trees: fix accidental loss of user changes
>>  - t1011: add testcase demonstrating accidental loss of user modifications
>>  - Merge branch 'vd/sparse-clean-etc' into en/present-despite-skipped
>>  (this branch uses vd/sparse-clean-etc.)
>>
>>  In sparse-checkouts, files mis-marked as missing from the working tree
>>  could lead to later problems.  Such files were hard to discover, and
>>  harder to correct.  Automatically detecting and correcting the marking
>>  of such files has been added to avoid these problems.
>>
>>  Will merge to 'next'?
>>  cf. <[email-masked]>
>>  source: <[email-masked]>
>
> Is there anything specific you're looking for here?
>
> I think it's ready, as I said two weeks ago in the link you provided
> above.  All reviewer feedback was addressed to reviewers' satisfaction
> over a month ago, so I'm not sure what else to do here...

FWIW I gave it some light reading just now & left some comments on it.

I don't think any of them should be blocking on it being merged down to
"next", but perhaps some of them suggest worthwhile follow-ups. In
particular the suggested documentation changes & the behavior/error
checking around the lstat() and index iteration in the new path_found().