Subject: Re: [PATCH 11/15] rev-list tests: don't hide abort() in "test_expect_failure"

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 11:10:11 +0100

On Wed, Mar 02 2022, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Change a couple of uses of "test_expect_failure" to use a
>> "test_expect_success" to positively assert the current behavior, and
>> replace the intent of "test_expect_failure" with a "TODO" comment int
>> the description.
>>
>> As noted in [1] the "test_expect_failure" feature is overly eager to
>
> And noted in [2], it is not a good idea to abuse "test_expect_success"
> for this purpose, either, though.
>
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

As noted I do have a "test_todo" (or "test_expect_todo") replacement for
"test_expect_failure" which I think I think will address your concern
there.

But do you mind if this is left like this for now? Due to the semantics
of "test_expect_failure" we can't use it in conjunction with
"test_must_fail" currently and not hide segfaults or abort().

So having it marked as "ok ... # TODO" v.s. "not ok ... # TODO" isn't
ideal, but certainly better than silently hiding abort() and segfaults.