Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/25] bundle: alphabetize subcommands better

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:47:18 +0100

On Wed, Feb 23 2022, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
>
> The usage strings for the 'git bundle' subcommands are not alphabetical.
> This also applies to their inspection within cmd_bundle(). Fix this
> ordering before we insert a new subcommand.
>
> This change does not reorder the cmd_bundle_*() methods to avoid moving
> lines that are more likely wanted in a future 'git blame' call. It is
> fine that those longer methods are not ordered alphabetically.

If we're moving these around it makes sense to make them use the pattern
of macros we use in commit-graph.c. I could have sworn I changed that
here already, but obviously not...

Anyway, I think as general UX I thought having these in alphabetical
order was a non-goal. Doesn't it make more for these commands in general
to list themost frequently used commands first.

In this case though there's pretty much a mapping between that and what
happens to be alphabetical order.

But I'd think if e.g. we implemented an "add-ref" or whatever to
in-place munge a bundle file to add more data to it such an obscure
thing would be better off last, before create/unbundle/list-heads/verify
etc.

Jut my 0.02, but for this change I really don't mind it, other than the
macro suggestion...