Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/27] t/helper/test-fast-rebase.c: don't leak "struct strbuf"

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:57:39 +0100

On Wed, Mar 23 2022, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Fix a memory leak that's been with us since f9500261e0a (fast-rebase:
>> write conflict state to working tree, index, and HEAD, 2021-05-20)
>> changed this code to move these strbuf_release() into an if/else
>> block.
>>
>> We'll also add to "reflog_msg" in the "else" arm of the "if" block
>> being modified here, and we'll append to "branch_msg" in both
>> cases. But after f9500261e0a only the "if" block would free these two
>> "struct strbuf".
>>
>> This change is needed so that a subsequent addition of a "goto
>> cleanup" pattern when adding release_revisions() doesn't solve this
>> unrelated bug while it's at it.
>
> With or without the goto-cleanup change, this fix alone is the right
> fix for these leaks.  I would not have written the last paragraph if
> I were working on this topic ;-)

To this and your 02/27 comment: Sure, I can remove that.

In general I think it's bad form for individual commits to discuss the
series they're in, they should be stand-alone.

But I'm pretty sure if I left this out I'd have gotten questions about
why these seemingly unrelated leak fixes are here as art of series
implementing release_revisions(), from either you or someone else :)