Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/4] builtin/stash: provide a way to import stashes from a ref

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 11:00:44 +0200

On Tue, Apr 05 2022, brian m. carlson wrote:

>> This test has an implicit dependency on your earlier test and will break
>> if it's not defining stash0, e.g. if you use --run=N or use other skip
>> test features of test-lib.sh.
>> 
>> Just factor that into a setup function & have the rest call it?
>
> Yes, most of our tests have that problem.  I don't think it's worth
> changing the way we do things unless we plan to make a concerted effort
> to do that across the codebase and verify that in CI.
>
> If we really want to make that change across the codebase for the
> future, that's fine, but I haven't seen such a discussion on the list so
> far.

Fair enough.

I do think it's a good pattern when adding /new/ code to follow that
practice, even if it requires the first added test to have a "git reset
--hard" (in liue of fixing various tests above).

But not enough to quibbly about it here :) Thanks.