Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 4/4] builtin/stash: provide a way to import stashes from a ref

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 20:25:20 +0200

On Wed, Apr 13 2022, brian m. carlson wrote:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On 2022-04-12 at 20:14:34, Jonathan Tan wrote:
>> This seems like you're using the commit message as the reflog message -
>> is this necessary? For what it's worth, all tests still pass if I
>> replace "msg" with "NULL".
>
> I think that's what the existing stash code does, and so I did the same
> here.  It's not strictly necessary, but it's a nice to have.

In any case: Jonathan changed the code to omit the commit message & the
tests still passed? Is that to do with:

    We specifically rely on the fact that we'll produce identical stash
    commits on both sides in our tests.

I.e. that they're checking round-tripping, but not known correctness?

Also: Maybe I'm missing something but stashes start with "WIP" or "On",
but the export adds a prefix "git stash: ". That seems like an odd
inconsistency, why not keep the message as-is as the commit message?

In any case, the import then takes the message as-is without stripping
the ""git stash: " prefix?