Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 3/4] builtin/stash: provide a way to export stashes to a ref

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:55:23 +0200

On Thu, Apr 07 2022, brian m. carlson wrote:

> +	/*
> +	 * This is an arbitrary, fixed date, specifically the one used by git
> +	 * format-patch.  The goal is merely to produce reproducible output.
> +	 */
> +	prepare_fallback_ident("git stash", "git@stash");
> +	author = fmt_ident("git stash", "git@stash", WANT_BLANK_IDENT,
> +			   "2001-09-17T00:00:00Z", 0);
> +	committer = fmt_ident("git stash", "git@stash", WANT_BLANK_IDENT,
> +			      "2001-09-17T00:00:00Z", 0);

Hrm, reproducable with what? Because you're doing this we won't get a
different OID every time you do:

    git stash export --print

That part I'm completely on board with, but not pick the author/date
from the tip of the stash we're exporting instead?

AFAICT the only negative side-effect of that is that we'll create
another such "base" commit for every stash we export, which is a bit of
garbage churn.

But I think it's worth it to not create magical author/committer entries
with nonsensical dates.