Subject: jc/http-clear-finished-pointer (was: What's cooking in git.git (May 2022, #07; Wed, 25))

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 20:51:23 +0200

On Thu, May 26 2022, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * jc/http-clear-finished-pointer (2022-05-24) 1 commit
>  - http.c: clear the 'finished' member once we are done with it
>
>  Meant to go with js/ci-gcc-12-fixes
>
>  Will merge to 'next'?
>  source: <[email-masked]>

The end of the proposed commit message says:

    [...]Clear the finished member before the control leaves the
    function, which has a side effect of unconfusing compilers like
    recent GCC 12 that is over-eager to warn against such an assignment.

I cannot reproduce this suppressing the warning as noted in past
exchanges, it's not affected by this "clear if we set it" pattern. It
needs to be unconditionally cleared.

So I don't think this actively makes anything worse, but I don't think
it's doing what you're expecting it to do either.