Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] remote.c: reject 0-length branch names

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 09:30:21 +0200

On Tue, May 31 2022, Glen Choo via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Glen Choo <[email-masked]>
>
> Branch names can't be empty, so config keys with an empty branch name,
> e.g. "branch..remote", are silently ignored.
>
> Since these config keys will never be useful, make it a fatal error when
> remote.c finds a key that starts with "branch." and has an empty
> subsection.

Perhaps this is fine, but I think this commit message (and I checked the
CL too) really needs to work a bit harder to convince us that this is
safe to do.

Are we confident that this is just bizarro config that nobody would have
had in practice? In that case I think it's fine to start dying on it.

But as I understand we previously just ignored this, then if there's any
doubt about that perhaps we should start with a warning?

Or are we really confident that this is an edge case not worth worrying
about in that way, and that we can go straight to die()?