Subject: Re: Git v2.20.1 EOS date

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:26:52 +0200

On Tue, Aug 02 2022, Nicolas MAFFRE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a project that uses Git v2.20.1 and I need to know
> if there is an "End of support" date for this version of the software Git ?

Yes and no, for v2.20.* it was probably sometime around 2 years ago (see
below).

The Git project doesn't really do LTS or active support for anything
except the current or recent release(s), if there are issues discovered
in older releases they're fixed in newer ones, not in older "maintenance
tracks".

For bugs discovered in older releases they'll almost always only be
fixed in the code that'll become the next release.

For security fixes we do change some older releases, but usually only
the ones from the last 1-2 years. E.g. there was a security release
recently which included point-releases for versions as old as 2.30.*:
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/; So that "2
years" above is just an inference of mine, judging from the last
security release.

How long that Window is is up to Junio's discretion, you can find some
others past such releases at:
https://lore.kernel.org/git/?q=s%3AANNOUNCE+s%3A%22and+others%22+f%3Agitster%40pobox.com

Note that this only goes for the git project. If you're e.g. using some
well-known vendors of LTS software they may themselves commit to
backporting patches to git and other software within their LTS window
(with mixed results).

I hope that helps!