Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 02/10] t4207: test coloring of grafted decorations

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 15:03:30 +0200

On Wed, Aug 03 2022, Eric Sunshine wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 2:32 AM Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 29 2022, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> > +     sed "s/[0-9a-f]\{10,10\}/COMMIT_ID/" |
>>
>> {10,10} in a regex is just {10}, no?
>
> I'm more than a little surprised that this regex repeat-count notation
> works on macOS `sed` which, in the BSD tradition, is rather feature
> poor. Testing it, though, I find that it does work, even on my
> relatively old version of macOS. However, I'd still worry about other
> BSD `sed`s in the wild.

It seems you missed it but we already have this code tested "in the
wild", i.e. the "new" code here is really just copy/pasting test setup
from above.

So maybe we want to change (and you have some good suggestions here),
but it's already shown itself to be portable enough. We've had this
"sed" command since v1.7.2, or 567102819ac (Add test for correct
coloring of git log --decoration, 2010-06-29).