Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 08/14] merge-resolve: rewrite in C

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 04:16:09 +0200

On Tue, Aug 09 2022, Alban Gruin wrote:

I think the rest of this series has been careful to keep output as-is
(in some cases arguably to a fault, e.g. carrying forward two
"gettextln" invocations as two puts(), which we should almost definitely
fold into one string).

But here:

> -    gettextln "Error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge"
> [...]
> +		error(_("Your local changes to the following files "
> +			"would be overwritten by merge:\n  %s"),
> +		      sb.buf);

We introduce a subtle behavior change, we used to say "Error:", but now
it's "error:". Also since a1fd2cf8cd6 (i18n: mark message helpers prefix
for translation, 2022-06-21) the interaction with how "error: " is
translated is different, but let's leave that aside.

Now, I think the change probably makes sense & isn't risky, but perhaps
note it in a commit message, or even precede it with a commit to
s/Error/error/g in the *.sh code before the migration?

Also, if we *are* changing it while we're at it let's also s/Your/your/,
no? I see some other uses in other pre-existing merge*.c files, so maybe
the unusual casing is magical.