Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] Trace2 timers and counters and some cleanup

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 15:04:33 +0200

On Tue, Oct 04 2022, Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget wrote:

> This patch series add stopwatch timers and global counters to the trace2
> logging facility. It also does a little housecleaning.
>
> This is basically a rewrite of the series that I submitted back in December
> 2021: [1] and [2]. Hopefully, it addresses all of the concerns raised back
> then and does it in a way that avoids the issues that stalled that effort.
>
> First we start with a few housecleaning commits:
>
>  * The first 2 commits are unrelated to this effort, but were required to
>    get the existing code to compile on my Mac with Clang 11.0.0 with
>    DEVELOPER=1. Those can be dropped if there is a better way to do this.

This seems like a good thing to have, but there's no subsequent changes
to those two files on this topic, so is this just a "to get it building
on my laptop..." stashed-on?

I think if so it makes sense to split these up, and as feeback on 1-2/9:
Let's note what compiler/version & what warning we got, the details
there for anyone to dig this up later are missing, i.e. if we ever want
to remove the workaround syntax.

>  * The 3rd commit is in response a concern about using int rather than
>    size_t for nr and alloc in an ALLOC_GROW() in existing trace2 code.

This small bit of cleanup also could perhaps be submitted separately?
It's unclear (and I read the concern in the initial thread) if this is
required by anything that follows.