Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] rebase: stop setting GIT_REFLOG_ACTION

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 16:51:38 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04 2022, Taylor Blau wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 03:19:00PM +0000, Phillip Wood via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> This is a follow up to pw/rebase-reflog-fixes that moves away from using
>> GIT_REFLOG_ACTION internally. This conflicts with patches 12 & 14 in [1]. As
>> this series replaces the code being changed in those patches I think the
>> best solution would be to just drop them.
>
> Thanks, I appreciate the updated round.
>
> The conflict you noted in [1] is a perfect example of why I dislike
> queuing sweeping leak cleanups like in that series. Those two patches
> need to get dropped in order to queue this series. OK, except what
> happens if a different part of [1] marks a test as leak-free when that
> is no longer the case because of something in this series?

I'm about to rebase my v2 on this topic, which I think is the best way
forward, so this is about to become a moot point.

But I think this is a good example of why it's better to solve the merge
conflict rather than dropping patches from one topic:

In this case the merge conflict is trivial to solve: Keep the side of
this topic over mine, and after remove the one function call the
compiler was alerting about.

> I haven't queued this topic yet, so perhaps all of this is moot with
> respect to these particular two series. But in general, such a problem
> is not hard to imagine.

Yes, by ejecting the two patches from my topic it doesn't pass anymore
with:

	git rebase -i -x 'GIT_TEST_PASSING_SANITIZE_LEAK=check GIT_TEST_SANITIZE_LEAK_LOG=true make SANITIZE=leak test'

Which is not really a problem, it's an obscure test mode that only I'm
using, and before that topic we failed on "master" anyway. Just say'n,
in general... :)