Subject: Re: [PATCH 07/13] bisect--helper: pretend we're real bisect when report error

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 22:29:00 +0100

On Sun, Nov 06 2022, Đoàn Trần Công Danh wrote:

> In a later change, we will convert the bisect--helper to be builtin
> bisect. Let's start by pretending it's the real bisect when reporting
> error.

It's good to have this in here, FWIW I left this out of my version
reasoning that it was broken before, so we could leave it with the
psot-cleanups.

I'm fine with having it in while we're at it, but just FWIW:

I don't think we're "pretending". We *are* the bisect command, the fact
that we're implementing it via a "helper" is really quite irrelevant,
just like we're not "pretending" if we say we're "git bisect" instead of
"git-bisect.sh" or whatever.

The only cases where we should have these helpers report that they are
the helper is for messages that aren't user-visible, e.g. the "-h"
output emitted when you invoke a helper-specific command that no user
should be invoking (although arguably, we should just BUG() out
there...).