Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 6/6] ls-tree: introduce '--pattern' option

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:03:39 +0100

On Wed, Dec 14 2022, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> The hard-coded object IDs break the `linux-sha256` job, as pointed out in
>>> https://github.com/git/git/blob/6ab7651d8669/whats-cooking.txt#L522-L537.
>>>
>>> Please squash this in to address this (Junio, please feel free to
>>> cherry-pick this on top of `tl/ls-tree--pattern` to reduce the number of
>>> CI failures):
>
> After re-reading the patches, I am very much inclined to drop this
> topic, which does not add much value to the system and adds an odd
> corner case in the UI.
>
> Who needs "git ls-tree --pattern='blob 486' HEAD" that is a synonym
> to "git ls-tree HEAD | grep 'blob 486'"?  Should we end up adding
> the same option to "git ls-files", "git status", "git ls-remote",
> "git remote", "git branch --list", etc. for consistency?
>
> This is simply insane and goes directly against the "one tool does
> one job well, and can be combined with other such tools via pipe",
> which is a key to scale the usability of a set of tools.

I agree, and FWIW I read
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
as the submitter of the topic agreeing to drop it ~3 weeks ago.