Subject: Tracking a remote branch in git

From: Sips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:45:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone.
My git setup is as follows:

One local repository residing at D:\Dev\ProjectName
One remote repository residing at W:\ProjectName

W is actually a removable disk.

Now, both repositories are connected through remotes. For example, git
remote -v in the local repository gives:

storengo    W:\ProjectName (fetch)
storengo    W:\ProjectName (push)

The same command in the remote repository gives:

origin    D:\Dev\ProjectName (fetch)
origin    D:\Dev\ProjectName (push)

Obviously, when I am in the master branch, I can synchronize repositories
between each other through git push and git pull.

Then I created a branch in the repository on the removable drive W and named
it newfeature. The question is: How can I work with this branch on the local
repository as well? I mean, I need the same 'relationship' between branches
as in case of the master branch.

I tried the following command on the local repository (which was checked out
to the master branch at that time):

git branch --track newfeature storengo/newfeature,

but received an error fatal: Not a valid object name: 'storengo/newfeature'.

With this command I was hoping to create a local branch which would be
'connected' to the same remote branch. As I've said, no luck there.
Strangely, the following command works without errors:

git branch --track newfeature storengo/master.

I mean, I am able to track the master branch from the remote repository. Why
can't I track some other branch as well? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kirill
-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Tracking-a-remote-branch-in-git-tp26119537p26119537.html
Sent from the git mailing list archive at Nabble.com.