Subject: [BUG] git-cherry false-positive on upstream new-line change at end-of-file

From: Tilman Vogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 16:42:08 +0200

Thank you for filling out a Git bug report! 
Please answer the following questions to help us understand your issue. 

What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue) 

I was working on two branches "master" and "feature". On "master" I  
"git cherry-pick feature" in order to pick the latest commit from 
"feature".  

What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior) 

When I run "git cherry master feature" the picked commit is 
marked with "-". 

What happened instead? (Actual behavior) 

When I run "git cherry master feature" the picked commit is 
marked with "+". 

What's different between what you expected and what actually happened? 

Because the commit has just been picked, it should be marked as "-". 
The actual behavior claims the commit had not been picked. 

Anything else you want to add: 

It is important to note that the only change, I did on master after 
branching "feature", was to add a missing newline at the end of the 
file that I changed on "feature".  

If I replay the same scenario with a file that has a newline at the end 
and I am only adding a newline at the beginning of it on master, cherry 
gives the expected "-" after cherry-picking. 

Please see this simple example: 

> git clone https://github.com/tvogel/cherry-broken.git 
> cd cherry-broken 

# see broken behaviour: 
> git cherry origin/master origin/feature 
+ 26f77def8f1380cc3fd08ebc3f70652da79f1a2e 

# check that patch-id is actually the same: 
> git show --patch origin/master | git patch-id 
ca5d666a572ec32bff9cec17b97d611316f89236 
0725b090dd82f2e6f9949ce853778391e60b08d1 
> git show --patch origin/feature | git patch-id 
ca5d666a572ec32bff9cec17b97d611316f89236 
26f77def8f1380cc3fd08ebc3f70652da79f1a2e 

# see OK behaviour: 
> git cherry origin/master-ok origin/feature-ok 
- 7ce2c0ecd3024c04bcf7b78d332841b2e791e06f 

In the "*-ok" branches, the file has newline at the end from the beginning 
and "master" only inserts a newline at the beginning of the file. "feature-ok"
has the same change as "feature" (content-wise).

Please review the rest of the bug report below. 
You can delete any lines you don't wish to share. 

[System Info] 
git version: 
git version 2.27.0 
cpu: x86_64 
no commit associated with this build 
sizeof-long: 8 
sizeof-size_t: 8 
uname: Linux 5.7.5-1-default #1 SMP Tue Jun 23 06:00:46 UTC 2020 (a1775d0) 
x86_64 
compiler info: gnuc: 10.1 
libc info: glibc: 2.31 

[Enabled Hooks] 
not run from a git repository - no hooks to show