Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] format-patch: handle range-diff on notes correctly for single patches

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2025 18:26:33 +0200

On Tue, Sep 23, 2025, at 00:01, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
>>
>> No `--[no-]notes` options are sent to the range-diff subprocess in
>> `range-diff.c` when making a single patch.  This means that you can get
>> different Git notes below the commit message and in the range-diff
>> part.  (See the previous commit for elaboration.)
>
> Would this also mean "range-diff --no-notes" would not have any
> effect in squelching the note output in such a mode?

Do you mean `git format-patch ... --range-diff --no-notes`?  Yes,
`--no-notes` has no effect.  range-diff just does the default thing
which is `--show-notes-by-default` (act like git-log(1), which shows the
default notes namespace unless any `--[no-]notes` options are given (and
there are no such options in this case)).

> If so, perhaps we should say not just "can get different Git notes"
> but "can get notes even when you asked not to"?

I think “can get different Git notes” covers all possibilities, both too
many and too few.

But like the previous commit this one could maybe use a rewrite.

    No `--[no-]--notes` options are sent to the range-diff subprocess in
    `range-diff.c` when making a single patch.  This means that range-diff
    will handle Git notes like git-log(1).

    This is a problem when you ask to use certain notes, or none at all,
    since that set of notes will appear beneath the commit message but the
    range-diff will have whatever notes that git-log(1) would have given
    you.

That’s at least less dense.

>> @@ -718,7 +718,8 @@ static void show_diff_of_diff(struct rev_info *opt)
>> [snip]